Make Your Own Baby Food.
Once your baby starts eating solids, you can make your own baby food and avoid forking over extra money for the overpriced jars in the grocery store. Not only will you save money, but you'll know exactly what's going into that precious little tummy. Generally, most jarred baby foods contain few, if any preservatives, but by using fresh fruits, vegetables and meats, you can be 100 percent sure that there will be no added preservatives or fillers in your baby's diet. Your piece of mind will likely be an even better benefit than the money you'll save.
Baby-food makers cost anywhere from $30 to a few hundred dollars, but using a regular household blender or food processor will also do the job. No matter what equipment you use, just be sure to blend the food well to avoid big chunks that your baby can choke on.
- Budget Busters: Saving Money While Raising Kids Quiz
- 5 Benefits of Online Layaway
- How to Create a Neighborhood Coupon Club
- How to Cut Household Grocery Expenses
- How to Cut Laundry and Dry Cleaning Expenses
- How to Raise a Large Family on a Budget
- How to Utilize a Store's Rewards Program
- What does the average family spend on clothing?
- Baby Center. "Diet for a Healthy Breastfeeding Mom." April 2010. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc
- Chow. "Make Your Own Baby Food." March 5, 2009. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://www.chow.com/food-news/54955/make-your-own-baby-food/
- Dickler, Jessica. "The Rising Cost of Raising a Child." CNN Money. Sept. 21, 2011. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/21/pf/cost_raising_child/index.htm
- Lu, Xin. "4 Ways Breast-Feeding Saves Money." Wise Bread. Feb. 28, 2011. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://www.wisebread.com/4-ways-breast-feeding-saves-money
- Momtastic. "Freezing Homemade Baby Food- Learn How to Freeze Baby Food." April 2, 2011. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/FreezePage.htm
- Rochman, Bonnie. "Breast-Feeding Gets a Nod from the IRS: Pumps are Deductible." Time Magazine. Feb. 18, 2011. (Oct. 1, 2011) http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/18/breast-feeding-gets-a-nod-from-the-irs-pumps-are-deductible/
- Skolnik, Deborah. "32 Ways to Save Money When You Have a Baby." Parents Magazine. (Sept. 30, 2011) http://www.parents.com/parenting/money/family-finances/32-ways-to-save-money-when-you-have-a-baby/
- Trent. "How Much Money Does Breastfeeding Really Save?" The Simple Dollar. March 4, 2007. (Sept. 30, 2011) http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/03/04/how-much-money-does-breastfeeding-really-save/
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.