You're not the only one who's trying to earn a wage and save a dollar. The airlines have lowered ticket prices to attract more customers, but many of them have added hefty fees than can catch an unsuspecting traveler unaware. Don't be one of the poor saps who falls victim to the repercussions of packing 10 pairs of shoes, winter and summer outfits (just in case) and enough cosmetics to keep the Kardashian clan in pancake and rouge for the next decade.
Most airlines have a per-bag maximum weight limit in addition to a restriction on the number of bags you can carry without facing an upcharge. Be conscious of this when you pack. If you suspect you've gone a couple of pounds beyond the limit and you absolutely can't lighten the load, then distribute it more evenly. Put a couple pairs of shoes and that extra sweater in your teenage son's suitcase. Let's face it: He probably only packed two pairs of underwear and a pair of jeans, anyway.
Cutting expenses on a vacation doesn't have to eliminate one bit of fun. In fact, you can turn it into a game. See how much good-times bang you can get for your hard-earned buck.
- Folgate, Erik. "Five Tips for Saving Money on Your Summer Vacation." Money Crashers. (Dec. 14, 2011) http://www.moneycrashers.com/five-tips-for-saving-money-on-your-summer-vacation/
- Sumner, Cindy. "10 Tips for Vacation Savings." Mothers of Preschoolers. (Dec. 14, 2011) http://www.mops.org/page.php?pageid=1214
- Sweating the Big Stuff. "Tips to Save Money on Your Summer Vacation." (Dec. 14, 2011) http://sweatingthebigstuff.com/tips-to-save-money-on-your-summer-vacation/
- We Just Got Back. "Tip Sheet: Money Savers." (Dec. 14, 2011) http://www.wejustgotback.com/default.aspx?mod=tips_money#
- U.S. News. "6 Ways to Save Money on Vacation." May 28, 2008. (Dec. 14, 2011) http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2008/05/28/6-ways-to-save-money-on-vacation
Paying for housing takes up a huge portion of your paycheck. HowStuffWorks Now looks at the place taking the biggest bite.