Experts agree that when it comes to kitchens, the best type of lighting for the job is "all of the above." Combine task, ambient, accent and decorative lighting to create a space that is both beautiful and functional. Accent lights above the stove show off your backsplash. Task lights below the counters help you keep your eye on the chopping block while also washing the room with soft, ambient light. Finally, decorative lights above the island or eat-in counter will provide an eye-catching centerpiece that will pop against your new paint color and refurbished cabinet doors.
Lighting can be expensive, but you need not sacrifice brilliance just because you're on a budget. Look for single pieces that can perform multiple functions. IKEA, for instance, has some interesting track lighting options that are stylish enough to serve as decorative lighting but flexible enough to allow certain individual lights on the track to be aimed at artwork or other points of focus.
Selecting a décor style, sprucing up your kitchen cabinets, experimenting with paint, streamlining your storage and looking into lighting are just a few of the many things you can do to transform your kitchen from blah to bloom. You can also think about swapping out your drawer pulls and knobs, adding artwork and installing carefully selected accents and rugs.
Find related articles and more great links below!
- 10 Budget Basics Every Parent Should Know
- 10 Green Living Ideas for Frugal Families
- 10 Tips for Staying on Budget
- 10 Tops for a Debt Free Life
- Can you penny pinch and still have fun? Frugal Living Quiz
- How Personal Budgets Work
- How to Know When to Spend and When to Save
- Why does having too many options make it harder to choose?
More Great Links
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Update a Cabinet with Molding." (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/walls/trim/update-a-cabinet-with-molding/
- Flynn, Brian Patrick. "Streamlined Kitchen Cabinet Makeover." HGTV.com. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/streamlined-kitchen-cabinet-makeover/index.html
- Haupt, Jennifer. "Kitchen Lighting Design Tips." HGTV.com. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/kitchen-lighting-design-tips/pictures/index.html
- HGTV.com. "Style Glossary." (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/style-glossary/index.html
- Trattner, Douglas. "Dramatic Kitchen Makeover for $2,500 or Less." HGTV.com. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/dramatic-kitchen-makeover-for-2500-or-less/index.html
- Trattner, Douglas. "Make Your Kitchen Look Fab For $500." HGTV.com. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/make-your-kitchen-look-fab-for-500/index.html
- White, Ana. "Update Kitchen Cabinets with Glass Inserts." HGTV.com. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/update-kitchen-cabinets-with-glass-inserts/index.html
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.