There's a reason high-end hotel rooms and spas are so relaxing, and we aren't even referring to the absence of roaring bosses and demanding children. These spaces-turned-oases give you room to breathe.
They're uncluttered, for starters, and (not coincidentally) they smell really, really good. You can get the same effect without taking out a loan or hocking your jewelry by doing two simple things: Store toiletries out of sight and stick to a monochromatic scheme. Editing the space and limiting the colors will be soothing. Plus, the total effect can make a room seem larger, which can be especially pleasing when it comes to small bathrooms.
Finish the look with a few strategically placed candles and bath salts infused with your essential oil of choice. Essential oils are very strong, so those tiny bottles will go a long way. For a spalike touch, mist a linen spray on bath towels [source: Terry]. DIY Web sites have easy recipes for making your own -- they're really just essential oils, alcohol and water. Alternately, if you have an out-of-control herb garden or leftovers from cooking, a bundle of thyme or rosemary sprigs tied with pretty ribbon or simple twine could make for a pretty sight and scent. The most relaxing part of all may be that this bathroom facelift didn't cost you a fortune.
- Ahern, Abigail. "Install a New Faucet." CountryLiving.com. (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.countryliving.com/homes/how-to-get-the-look/budget-decorating-makeover-0109
- Apartment Therapy. "Is Installing this New Shower Rod a Good Idea?" (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/faucets-hardware-kitchen-bath/ny-good-questions-is-installing-this-new-shower-rod-a-good-idea-047701
- Better Homes and Gardens. "30 Ways to Store More in Your Bath." (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/storage/storage-solutions/store-more-in-your-bathroom/#page=7
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Low-Cost Bathroom Updates." (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/remodeling/projects/quick-bathroom-updates/#page=4
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Real-Home Makeover: Bathroom on a Budget." (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/bathroom/remodeling/makeover/budget-bathroom-makeover/#page=9
- Daniel, Alice. "Chic, Cheap Bathroom Makeover." HGTV.com. (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/bathrooms/chic-cheap-bathroom-makeover/index.html
- Hamilton, Gene. "Estimating How Much Paint to Buy." Dummies.com. (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/estimating-how-much-paint-to-buy.html
- House and Home. "DIY Ruffled Shower Curtain." (Oct. 9, 2011) http://houseandhome.com/design/diy-ruffled-shower-curtain
- House To Home. "9 Steps to a Sophisticated Bathroom." (Oct. 9. 2011) http://www.housetohome.co.uk/room-idea/picture/create-a-sophisticated-bathroom-in-9-steps/7
- Martha Stewart. "Terry-Cloth Shower Curtain." (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/275735/good-things-for-the-bathroom/@center/277006/bedroom-and-bathroom-decorating#/273132
- O'Hea, Jonathan. "Make a Tray." CountryLiving.com. (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.countryliving.com/homes/how-to-get-the-look/budget-decorating-makeover-0109
- Terry, Mindy. "Decorating Ideas: Turn Your Bathroom into an Oasis of Calm." Spa Magazine. (Oct. 9, 2011) http://www.spamagazine.com/articles/healthy-living/how-turn-your-bathroom-oasis-calm
Paying for housing takes up a huge portion of your paycheck. HowStuffWorks Now looks at the place taking the biggest bite.