Adapt or Risk Paying More
When you plan your holiday, take the time to research two and possibly three alternate destinations. You may have your heart set on a specific locale, but being adaptable will give you some wiggle room when searching for the best bargain. Being flexible about the dates you travel and the length of your stay can often help you save, too. Fun in the sun doesn't have to mean Hawaii -- unless you're visiting relatives there. The more flexible and open you are, the more likely you'll be to find the style of holiday you want at a price you can afford.
- Eisenberg, Sherri . "Tips to Save Money on Cruises." MSNBC. 8/4/11. (11/29/11). http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43991752/ns/today-travel/t/tips-save-money-cruises/#.TtphL_Jfl9k
- Free Money Finance. "Save Money on Travel." (11/29/11). http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/2010/09/how-to-save-money-on-travel.html
- Fuscaldo, Donna. "How to Save Money on Your Next Vacation." Fox Business. 5/4/11. (11/29/11). http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/05/04/save-money-vacation/
- Gekas, Alexandra. "10 Savvy Ways to Save on Travel." Woman's Day. 3/25/11. (11/29/11). http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Life/Travel/10-Savvy-Ways-to-Save-on-Travel.html
- Groupon. "Personalized Deals FAQ." 2010. (11/29/11). http://www.groupon.com/blog/cities/personalized-deals-faq/
- Jarzemsky, Matt . "Poll Shows More Rebound in Summer Vacation Plans." The Wall Street Journal. 5/6/11. (11/29/11). http://www.marketwatch.com/story/poll-shows-more-rebound-in-summer-vacation-plans-2011-05-06
- Money Saving Expert. "Cheap Flights." 1/26/11. (11/29/11). http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-flights
- Moneyning. "50 Budget Travel Tips and Save Money on Vacations." (11/29/11). http://moneyning.com/money-tips/50-ways-to-budget-travel-and-save-money-on-vacations/
Dollar stores — where most items cost just a buck — always seem to make money. HowStuffWorks finds out how they do it.