Nightclub businesses are high-risk, short-lived and utterly enticing. They require a lot of start up investment and are difficult and demanding to run. If you want to start a nightclub, these tips may help you succeed:
- Create a business plan Before you start any business, you should outline every critical aspect of its operation. You should include what resources you'll need for starting out and later expanding, financial assessments of your expenses and how you'll make a profit, and any other information potential customers, vendors and investors might need [source: SBA].
- Find the perfect location Consider safety, parking, accessibility and even history when choosing a location. Your nightclub will have the personality you develop for it, and your location will need to match.
- Design the ambience The name, decor, demographics of the neighborhood, music and entertainment selections, and bar menu, among countless other tiny details will give your nightclub life. Keep your club consistent and don't change too much. Understand why people are coming to your club and be sure to continue giving them what they're looking for.
- Obtain the proper permits and licensingAlcohol licenses and permits are costly but necessary for any nightclub. Municipalities often limit the number of licenses issued, and in some areas, it can be very difficult to obtain them. Start up costs for nightclubs can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars including permits, equipment, improvements, rent and inventory.
- Security and safety Your customers will rely on it, and your bottom line will need it. Clubs are susceptible to thefts and confrontations. Fire codes are important to follow as well. The last thing you'll need is some kind of tragedy to ruin your business [source: Scholtens].