All commercial companies want to make a profit and it's the sales manager's job to help that happen. Naturally, the sales manager needs to know the product or service he is selling very well. The sales manager is responsible for getting the product to the customer [source: bls]. Most sales managers have at least five years of selling experience. If this appeals to you, read on to find out how to get to be a sales manager.
- Earn a bachelor's degree in the field of marketing, business administration or public relations [source: bls].
- Work on your public speaking skills during college. A sales manager has to project his company's products or services well, and to relate well to clients.
- Get some experience in sales. Try to land a job in an organization big enough to provide training as well as advancement opportunities [source: Frisch].
- Take courses in particular areas of sales, such as management or promotional tactics, while you're working in sales. This will demonstrate your dedication to the job, and will give you an edge when it comes time for promotions.
- Apply for a job as an assistant sales manager after you have some solid experience in sales. You can either get a promotion in your current company or get a job as an assistant sales manager in a different company.
- Gain experience as an assistant sales manager. Your next career move will be to the position of sales manager. Congratulations!