Wardrobe stylists, also known as fashion stylists or image consultants, are usually hired by individuals or companies to act as advisors regarding the latest fashion trends. The job of a wardrobe stylist is to dress up her clients. A wardrobe stylist will do the following:
- Evaluate the person's existing wardrobe and decide what clothes to keep and what to get rid of.
- Accompany her client on shopping trips, and advise her about what to buy and what not to buy.
- Help her client put together outfits by mixing and matching clothing combinations.
In short, a wardrobe stylist must make sure that the clients' clothes always look good on her [source: BLS].
If you want to become a professional wardrobe stylist, continue reading this article.
- Education Look for a college that offers courses in fashion/wardrobe styling or image consultancy. You will study ways of assessing clients' needs to see what will be the best options for them in terms of colors and image [source Langara College].
- Choose a career path Decide what setting you want to work in. You might want to work with individuals on a one-to-one basis, or perhaps you'd rather work for the advertising industry or even the movie industry. You might like to focus on evening wear, haute couture or ready to wear, or, as most stylist will do, a combination of areas.
- Internship Get some hands-on experience and build a fashion portfolio, by completing an internship as a wardrobe stylist. It's even better if you can get a job as a fashion assistant for an established stylist, which will allow you to gain experience while being paid. Consider getting an entry-level job in fashion to get enough work experience to allow you to progress to a better job in fashion styling [source: Moore].
- Employment However you choose, or are able, to get into the fashion job market, it's your reputation that will help you along, whether or not you wish to work independently. Talented fashion stylists are in demand, so if you're good you should not have a problem finding employment [source: Limperts Academy].