There are several different ways you can become involved in the fight against world hunger. The first step is finding an organization that you want to support. There are many out there to choose from and the list continues to grow as more and more people become aware of the crisis at hand.
Decide how you want to help. Most commonly, people donate either their time or their money. Bread for the World is a Christian organization that is attacking the problem by pushing Congress to act. Members of the organization write letters and e-mails as well as meet with representatives in person in the hopes of achieving their goals. You can become a member by making a donation [source: Bread for the World].
CARE is another organization that is fighting to end world hunger. It is one of the organizations with many campaigns, which also include education and the fight against HIV/Aids. Uniquely, CARE is geared toward women. You can help by making a donation or volunteering. Similar to Bread for the World, CARE hopes to get the attention of government officials in order to make a difference. CARE believes that changing the way food gets to poor communities can help lower costs [source: CARE].
Freedom from Hunger is an organization that works with local communities to solve hunger. It currently operates in 17 different countries, focusing on the health of mothers and children. As always, you can help by making a donation. For those hoping to get more involved, Freedom from Hunger utilizes volunteers and also offers job opportunities as well as internships [source: Freedom from Hunger].
Perhaps one of the most well known organizations working toward an end to world hunger, as well as world poverty, is UNICEF, the United Nations Children's Fund. UNICEF works to provide a voice for children in need and it operates entirely on voluntary donations [source: UNICEF].
These are only a handful of the organizations that have joined the fight against world hunger. If you want to get involved, you can go online to find other groups -- local and global -- active in the struggle against world hunger.
To learn more about volunteering, visit the links of the next page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Bread for the World. "Hunger Facts: International." (Accessed 5/17/2009).http://www.bread.org/learn/hunger-basics/hunger-facts-international.html
- Bread for the World. "Join Us." (Accessed 5/17/2009).https://secure.ga4.org/01/Become_a_Member/
- CARE. "The Human Face of Climate Change." (Accessed 5/17/2009)http://www.care.org/campaigns/world-hunger/index.asp
- ELCA. "World Hunger Facts." (Accessed 5/17/2009)http://archive.elca.org/hunger/facts/facts.html
- Freedom from Hunger. "About Freedom from Hunger." (Accessed 5/17/2009)http://www.freedomfromhunger.org/about/
- UNICEF. "Support UNICEF." (Accessed 5/17/2009)http://www.unicef.org/support/index.html
- World Hunger. "World Hunger Facts 2009." (Accessed 5/17/2009)http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm