Organizing Programs to Help the Environment
If you don't have the time or funds to join a broad environmental program, you can volunteer to help in your local community. All you need is a bit of time, some friends or neighbors and a goal. You can raise funds for environmental causes by hosting yard sales, bake sales, auctions, walks or other events. But if you want to get out there and truly be one with the environment, you can host an outdoor program.
One popular program is called Adopt-a-Highway. Depending on where you live, you may be able to join the program through the state. In Minnesota, groups or organizations can maintain a segment of the highway upon agreement to two years of service. Volunteers pick up the litter and garbage along both sides of the highway a few times each year [source: MDOT]. This is a simple, easy way to help your community and get some exercise. You can carry this idea a step further by cleaning up rivers, parks or other roads. West Virginia has a "Make It Shine" program devoted solely to keeping the state clean and beautiful [source: WVDEP].
If you don't already have one, start a recycling program in your community. You could also create and maintain a community or school garden to raise environmental awareness. In the event of a natural disaster, pitch in to help clean up the debris or any toxin spills. You can also plant native wildflower patches or volunteer to help at wildlife refuges. When you stop and look around, you'll realize there are endless projects waiting to be started. You can do it, and others will be happy to help!
For more information, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- ADF. "home." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.arborday.org/
- ADF. "The History of Arbor Day." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.arborday.org/arborday/history.cfm
- An Inconvenient Truth. "The Science." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.climatecrisis.net/thescience/
- EPA. "Climate Change: FAQ." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/fq/effects.html#q1
- GUSA. "home." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/
- MDOT. "Adopt a Highway Program." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.dot.state.mn.us/adopt/
- Sierra Club. "home." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.sierraclub.org/
- TNC. "home." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.nature.org/
- Willard Library. "Calendar of Events: Going Green and Willard Library/Summer Reading Program." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.willard.lib.in.us/calendar_of_events/event_details.php?eventID=171
- WVDEP. "WV Make It Shine Program." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.wvdep.org/Item.cfm?ssid=18&SS1ID=823
- WWF. "Home." (Accessed 05/13/09)http://www.worldwildlife.org/