Organizations Helping the Environment
Volunteering for an environmental organization can be very rewarding and beneficial, especially if it's a good match. Before joining any organization, do some research to find out if its mission statement aligns with your concerns and goals and learn what it expects of its volunteers.
Some well-known and respected environmental organizations include:
- World Wildlife Federation -- This organization is dedicated to helping endangered species and animal habitats worldwide.
- The Nature Conservancy -- This international group specializes in saving land, water sources and animal species.
- Arbor Day Foundation -- This national organization focuses on conserving and planting trees.
- Greenpeace -- This worldwide organization is dedicated to protecting the world's oceans, cleaning up toxins and saving endangered animals.
- Sierra Club -- This grassroots national organization works toward curbing carbon emissions and finding clean energy solutions.
It's easy to search the Internet for organizations that meet your interests. You can locate groups focused on climate control, carbon footprints, flora and fauna, water and air pollution, and wildlife using key-word searches. You can also contact your state's Department of Natural Resources or Department of the Environment for more information.
Do you have an idea for an event that can help your local environment? Read on to learn about organizing environmental programs.