Lots More Information
Author's Note: Can you tell if a stock is about to rebound?
In its purest and somewhat sentimental form, an investment in the stock market is a vote of confidence for the future performance of a company or industry. If I buy shares of stock in General Motors, it means that I believe that GM will continue to innovate and outsell the competition. When the Dow Jones goes up, we generally equate that with growing confidence in the American economy. But how much does stock price and investment trends have to do with the actual financial performance of American businesses? And how much can be attributed to sophisticated traders using any number of mathematical algorithms and inscrutable techniques to "game" the system? If you want to take a somewhat disturbing look at the reality of modern stock trading, look up information about high-frequency trading or "robo-trading," which accounts for at least half of all the daily trading volume on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Abraham, Stephan. "3 Ways to Tell If Your Stock Has Bottomed." Investopedia. Dec. 17, 2010 (April 26, 2013) http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/10/3-ways-tell-stock-bottom.asp
- Cox, Jeff. "Dow Breaks 14,000 Finally; What's Next for Market?" CNBC. Feb. 1, 2013 (April 26, 2013) http://www.cnbc.com/id/100416162
- Cramer, Jim. "Cramer on Spotting a Stock's Bottom." CNBC. Feb. 14, 2013 (April 26, 2013) http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000147989
- Google Finance. "Dow Jones Industrial Average" https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI
- Mitchell, Cory. "How to Use Volume to Improve Your Trading." Investopedia. May 16, 2011 (April 26, 2013) http://www.investopedia.com/articles/technical/02/010702.asp
- Stark, Betsy. "Tracking the Dow One Year After Rock Bottom". ABC News. March 9, 2010. ((April 26, 2013) .http://abcnews.go.com/Business/year-ago-today-dow-hit-bottom-recession/story?id=10046578#.UYfgpsqzeSp
- Twin, Alexandra. "For Dow, another 12-year low." CNN Money. March 9, 2009 (April 26, 2013) http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/09/markets/markets_newyork/