When you start a new job or change jobs within the same organization, one of your goals is to make and maintain a good impression with your coworkers. Here's how to win them over.
First impressions are formed within a few seconds and are nearly impossible to change. Here are some tips for making that all-important good first impression.
- Have a good appearance. Make sure you're appropriately dressed and groomed.
- Be neat.
- Be on-time.
- Be yourself.
- Be confident.
- Be good at small talk.
- Be courteous.
- Be organized.
- Use positive body language.
It's important to maintain the good first impression you made. Here are some tips for doing this.
- Remember to foster good relations and respect.
- Do all of your tasks to the best of your ability.
- Offer to help others.
- Respect your coworkers' opinions.
- Take the time to get to know your coworkers. This includes remembering their names and
- going to special events with them (e.g. dinners, lunches, etc).
- Learn the company's culture. Finding a mentor will help you succeed at your new job.
- Have good listening skills.
- Respond to email or voice messages within one day.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Show up on time.
- Ask questions. Don't worry, your new coworkers won't expect you to know everything.
- Don't plan any vacations until you've been employed for at least a few months.
If you take the preceding points to heart, you should have no problem winning over your coworkers!