Drone Package Delivery Services
Amazon, the online retailing Goliath, shipped an estimated 608 million packages in 2013 [source: Bensinger and Stevens]. Most arrive by U.S. mail or a private package delivery service from Amazon's global network of fulfillment centers, shipping everything from books to diapers to 4K ultra-HD TVs. And if you're an Amazon Prime member, your packages will arrive in two days or less, at no extra cost.
But two days isn't good enough for Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who envisions a new way of getting Amazon products into the hands of online shoppers – via drones, of course!
Amazon Prime Air, if ever approved by the FAA, would use autonomous drones to deliver packages weighing less than 5 pounds (2 kilograms) to your doorstep in a zippy 30 minutes or less. Eighty-six percent of goods sold on Amazon weigh less than 5 pounds, so that could be a lot of drones in space [source: Misener].
Frustrated by the FAA's slow approval process, Bezos has moved the Amazon Prime Air R&D to Canada, where testing continues on its 10th generation drone prototypes [source: Crovitz]. Meanwhile, Google X is quietly pursuing its own drone delivery program called Project Wing. And a Silicon Valley startup called Matternet is beta-testing a drone system that runs on fixed routes between base stations in places lacking roads [sources: Madrigal, Nicas].
Author's Note: 10 UAV Jobs of the Future
I'll admit it, drones freak me out. There's just something about an insect-like robot hovering 2 feet over my head that screams "futuristic surveillance state!" I'm not super-psyched about a world in which Amazon delivery drones darken the skies like a swarm of UPS locusts. Or a future reality in which urban street corners are policed by the glowing red eyes of airborne security cameras. Commercial drones absolutely have their place – search and rescue seems like a no-brainer – but I'm actually with the FAA on this one. Let's make sure these drones are safe and that privacy is well-protected before setting them loose in America's skies.
More Great Links
- AeroVironment. "Agriculture" (April 10, 2015) http://www.avinc.com/public-safety/applications/agricultural
- Annear, Steve. "Somerville using drones to survey snowy building roofs." The Boston Globe. Feb. 19, 2015 (April 10, 2015) https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/19/somerville-using-drones-survey-snowy-building-roofs/qYXOJ6X3iBaur854JFnuPJ/story.html
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International. "Economic Report" (April 10, 2015) http://www.auvsi.org/econreport
- BBC News. "Google buys high-altitude drone firm Titan Aerospace." April 15, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27035385
- Bensinger, Greg; Stevens, Laura. "Amazon, in Threat to UPS, Tries Its Own Deliveries." The Wall Street Journal. April 24, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304788404579521522792859890
- BP. "BP Alaska: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Testing." Dec. 7, 2012 (April 10, 2015) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0rgiS3wgw
- Crovitz, L. Gordon. "Amazon's Drones Exiled to Canada." The Wall Street Journal. April 5, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.wsj.com/articles/l-gordon-crovitz-amazons-drones-exiled-to-canada-1428270643
- DeMarban, Alex. "Broken pipe sprays oily plume across snowy tundra at Prudhoe Bay." Alaska Dispatch News. April 29, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.adn.com/article/20140429/broken-pipe-sprays-oily-plume-across-snowy-tundra-prudhoe-bay
- Dent, Steve. "Rescue drone that can search buildings wins $1 million prize." Engadget. Feb. 9, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/09/flyability-gimball-rescue-drone/
- Evans, Carter. "Paparazzi now using drone to hunt down and photograph stars." CBS News. Aug. 23, 2014. (April 16, 2015) http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paparazzi-take-to-the-skies-to-pursue-stars-with-drones/
- FAA. "Section 333" (April 10, 2015) https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/
- Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau. "Trans-Alaska Pipeline." (April 10, 2015) http://www.explorefairbanks.com/go/energy/trans-alaska-pipeline/27
- Kass, Benny L. "Drones could get expanded role in real estate." The Washington Post. Jan. 26, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/where-we-live/wp/2015/01/26/drones-could-get-expanded-role-in-real-estate/
- Gray, Sarah. "Terrifying riot drone is equipped to shoot paint balls, plastic bullets and pepper spray." Salon. June 19, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.salon.com/2014/06/19/terrifying_riot_drone_equipped_to_shoot_paint_balls_plastic_bullets_and_pepper_spray/
- Grobart, Sam. "See the Drone That Is Years Ahead of Google and Facebook." Bloomberg Business. Nov. 11, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2014-11-12/see-the-drone-that-is-years-ahead-of-google-and-facebook
- Hood, Grace. "From Battle to Birds: Drones Get a Second Life Counting Critters." NPR. April 25, 2013 (April 10, 2015) http://www.npr.org/2013/04/25/179017548/from-battle-to-birds-drones-get-second-life-counting-critters
- Jansen, Bart. "FAA unveils drone rules; Obama orders policy for agencies." USA Today. Feb. 16, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/15/faa-drone-rule/23440469/
- Johnson, Ted. "Filmmakers Get Permission to Use Drones in the U.S." Variety. Sept. 25, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://variety.com/2014/artisans/news/faa-expected-to-permit-use-of-drones-on-film-sets-1201313650/
- Kolpack, Dave. "Where's the Future Aviation Boom? Drone Jobs." The Associated Press. Dec. 12, 2013 (April 10, 2015) http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/12/12/wheres-the-future-aviation-boom-drone-jobs/
- Madrigal, Alexis C. "Inside Google's Secret Drone-Delivery Program." The Atlantic. Aug. 28, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/inside-googles-secret-drone-delivery-program/379306/
- Misener, Paul. "Amazon Petition for Exemption to FAA." July 9, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/rowland/AmazonPetitionforExemption_July92014.pdf
- Nicas, Jack. "Silicon Valley Startup Develops Drone-Delivery System." The Wall Street Journal. March 20, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.wsj.com/articles/silicon-valley-startup-develops-drone-delivery-system-1426893628
- Pilkington, Ed. "'We see ourselves as the vanguard': the police force using drones to fight crime." The Guardian. Oct. 1, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/01/drones-police-force-crime-uavs-north-dakota
- Qiu, Linda. "Watch: Can Drones Help Save Wildlife Around the World?" National Geographic. Nov. 15, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/11/141114-drones-wildlife-poaching-animals-conservation/
- Sengupta, Somini. "Rise of Drones in U.S. Drives Efforts to Limit Police Use." The New York Times. Feb. 15, 2013 (April 10, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/technology/rise-of-drones-in-us-spurs-efforts-to-limit-uses.html?pagewanted=all
- Watercutter, Angela. "Drones are about to change how directors make movies." Wired. March 6, 2015 (April 10, 2015) http://www.wired.com/2015/03/drone-filmmaking/
- Woody, Todd. "Drones are Becoming Energy's New Roustabouts." The New York Times. April 21, 2014 (April 10, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/22/business/energy-environment/drones-are-becoming-energys-new-roustabouts.html
- Zuckerberg, Mark. Internet.org. "Connecting the World from the Sky" (April 10, 2015) https://fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t39.2365-6/851574_611544752265540_1262758947_n.pdf
How can you get out of giving a professional reference if you don't want to? HowStuffWorks has some tips.