Here's a job that doesn't show up on many "most stressful jobs" lists. Why? Unfortunately, it often isn't considered a real job. But few things can be more stressful than having a job outside the home, and then coming home to the demanding job of being a parent.
We most often think of working mothers as having high stress levels, but the same is true for any single parent of either gender, and for working fathers who share primary responsibility for raising their children.
The stress arises largely from being pulled in so many, often contradictory, directions. If parents deal with a child's problems -- illness, trouble at school, emotional problems, whatever -- at work, they may worry about neglecting deadlines. If they don't deal with the children's problems immediately, parents are going to feel guilty.
What if there's a big day coming up at work, but your child wakes up feeling ill? What if it snows, and school is delayed or canceled? What if you're supposed to stay late for some important professional reason, but you can't find a babysitter? And what about conflicts that aren't even crises, such as choosing between a business meeting and a child's ballgame? Focusing too much on your child might hurt your career, and vice versa. How do you choose wisely?
Many parents are also teachers, soldiers, doctors, police officers or any of the other stressful jobs on this list. Imagine that.
- Alexander, Roger E. "Stress-related suicide by dentists and other health-care workers: Fact or folklore?" The Journal of the American Dental Association. Vol. 132, No. 6, 2001. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/132/6/786
- Balderrama, Anthony. "10 Stressful Jobs That Are Worth It." CareerBuilder.com. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-1315-Job-Search-10-Stressful-Jobs-That-Are-Worth-It/
- Brooks, Deborah Jordan. "Job Stress: A Price of Success." Gallup. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.gallup.com/poll/6823/job-stress-price-success.aspx?
- "Helicobacter Pylori and Peptic Ulcer Disease. Myths." Centers for Disease Control. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer.myth.htm
- Marquit, Miranda. "12 Seriously Stressful Jobs." The MainStreet Newsletter. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.mainstreet.com/article/career/work/life-balance/12-stressful-jobs-avoid
- Montgomery, Leigh. "Top 5 Most Stressful Jobs." The Christian Science Monitor. (Sept. 16, 2010)http: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0811/Top-5-most-stressful-jobs
- Shiria, Ilan. "The occupation with the highest suicide rate." Psychology Today, Aug. 1, 2009. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/31559
- Stein, Gretchen M. "Challenging the Myth of the Suicide-Prone Dentist." Northwest Dentistry. Journal of the Minnesota Dental Association. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.mndental.org/archive1_04/features/article_3/
- Streiber, Andrew. "The 10 Most and Least Stressful Jobs of 2010." CareerCast. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/ten-most-stressful-jobs-2010-jobs-rated-0
- "Stress … At Work." Centers for Disease Control National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-101/
- "Stressful Jobs That Pay Badly." CNNMoney.com. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/pf/0910/gallery.stressful_jobs/index.html
- "Suicide by profession: lots of confusion, inconclusive data." American Psychological Association. Monitor, Vol. 32, No. 1, January, 2001. http://www.apa.org/monitor.jan01/suicide.aspx
- "Suicide in the U.S.: Statistics and Prevention." National Institute of Mental Health. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml
- "The Most Stress Related Occupations." Consumer Awareness Journal. September, 2006. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.consumer-awareness-journal.com/Articles/2006-09-01/The-Most-Stress-Related-Occupations.cfm
- "Tips for coping with stress at work." Mayo Clinic. (Sept. 16, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/helath/coping-with-stress/SR00030
- "2010 Jobs Rated Methodology." CareerCast. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.careercast.com/jobs/content/job-rated-methodology-2010
- "What occupation has the highest suicide rate?" Straight Dope. (Sept. 23, 2010)http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1588/what-occupation-has-the-highest-suicide-rate
HowStuffWorks finds out all about mermaid classes and how to become a professional mermaid.