Keep this in mind when you begin to haggle: Hospitals, doctors, medical labs and other health care providers don't want to turn your bill over to a collection agency, or write it off completely. It costs them time and money. That's why it's in their best interest to agree on a payment plan with you. In negotiating a plan, consider some of these tips that work well, whether you're paying down your deductible or paying your doctor.
- Decided on a specific time when the bill needs to be paid in full, perhaps in three to six months. It's important the timeframe be comfortable for you.
- Make sure you can afford the monthly payment.
- Don't neglect other bills.
- You might need help in paying down your medical debt. If you can, go to the bank and apply for a personal loan or a line of credit. The interest rates will be much cheaper than putting the bill on a credit card.
- Pay your bill each month in a timely manner and stick to the payment plan.
- Make sure you get receipts from the billing department.