After an accident, make sure you get the following key information from anyone involved [source: AAA]:
- Full name and phone number
- Driver's license and license plate numbers
- Company name and contact information for their insurance company
- Insurance policy number
- Names and contact information for any passengers
- Basic information about their vehicle -- make, model, year and color
You should provide your own information to anyone else involved in the accident as well so that your insurance companies can get to work on your claims as soon as possible.
Plenty of people borrow friends' or family members' cars, so it's also important to note whether the driver of the car is the primary driver listed on the insurance policy. If not, make sure to note the driver's own insurance carrier and policy number -- even if it's not his car, some of his own coverage may still apply.
There's another type of person you should be aware of at the scene of a car accident, though. Find out what to ask them on the next page.